As much of a fan that I am of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, someone is going to have some explaining to do when it comes to Officer David Bisard.
Bisard was reportedly drunk when he got into an accident with his squad car on Friday that ended up killing one motorcyclist and sending two others to the hospital.
According to police, Bisard reportedly had a .19 blood alcohol content level at the time of the accident. The accident occurred at about 11:45 in the morning. To blow a .19 you would have to have nine drinks in an hour. It’s no big secret that I enjoy an adult beverage from time to time, but even I couldn’t pull that off, nor would I want to. And remember, when someone gets busted for driving under the influence, it’s usually the first time they caught, not the first time they commit the offense.
So with that established, here are the questions that are going to have to be answered…
- Did Officer Bisard display any behavior when he reported in for duty that morning that would have led someone to believe he was under the influence?
- Did any officer have knowledge that he was under the influence
- Does he have a history of alcohol abuse and has he ever been disciplined for abusing alcohol?
- What is the policy on reporting an officer that might be under the influence?
- Does IMPD have a random drug/alcohol testing policy and if so what is it?
Those are just a handful of questions that come to mind. I am sure there are a whole lot more that need to be addressed. And IMPD needs to address them soon.